Friday 19 December 2008

53. Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, (Love Is Like A) Heat Wave (1963)



Last night, I went to the BBC, to the recording of something that doesn't actually happen on New Years' Eve. I wonder what that is. Anyway, ahem, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas were there, and they played this. It has, for the last ten years or so, been in a constant battle with Glenn Campbell's version of Witchita Lineman to be rubber-stamped as my favourite song of all time. At the moment, thinking of what that glorious, best-bassline-of-all-time does to my brain and my knees every single time I hear it, it's winning.

3 comments:

Mondo said...

Oh yes - I'm all for Heatwave and James Jamerson IS the Big Boss of the bass - although my fave Motown moment is this, reckoned by some to be the template tune for Northern Soul, in some ways the instrumental version has the edge.

PS - have you heard Joan Osborne's take on Heatwave

sarah said...

i think it's my favourite song to dance to. it always makes me swoon.

Nick White said...

That "Yeah yeah yeah yeah!" bit about two minutes in is one of the very best "yeah yeah!" bits in all of pop music. It's ecstatic.