Sunday 11 January 2009

65. Paul McCartney, Pipes Of Peace (1983)


Twenty five years ago today, my father died. He was 33. I am 30 now, and the older I get the shortness of his life keeps growing in my mind, like a shadow under dim light. I have written about Dad before, and this particular piece says so much about the effect he had on my life, and the love of music he had that I somehow inherited.
This was the song I wrote about when I last wrote to him in early January 1984. It may not be Paul McCartney's finest work, but to me, it means everything.

1 comment:

backwards7 said...

I was an avid viewer of Top of the Pops during the late 1970s and throughout the 1980s.

Conventional wisdom states that this is the period when artists like Paul McCartney and David Bowie took creative nosedives and put out bland, over-produced and occasionally embarrassing music.

I have no idea what the albums of this period were like, but the singles were always good. In McCartney's case 'Pipes of Peace', 'No More Lonely Nights'(the original version - not that ghastly disco remix that appeared on one of the NOW compilations), even 'The Frog Chorus' were all great songs.

They still are great songs.