Monday 10 November 2008

15. The Jets, Crush On You (1986)



The first pop magazine I bought was No. 1. It didn't have as profound an effect on me as Smash Hits, a magazine that was such a mind-meltingly wonderful revelation that I still remember every detail about the first issue I bought. August 10, 1988. 48p. Brother Beyond on the cover; Tanita Tikaram on the side-strip; songwords to We Call It Acieeed by D-Mob inside. Anyway, the only thing I remember about No. 1 is that it alerted me to the existence of The Jets, who, if memory serves, were the American version of Five Star, who themselves were Romford's take on The Jacksons. Amazing.

The Jets only had one hit, which I remembered it this morning for some peculiar reason. And guess what? It's still really, really good. It IS.

2 comments:

Kippers said...

Fantastic. Funnily enough, I've recently ripped my old 7" copy of The Jets' follow-up to this, Rocket To You, to mp3, and that still sounds really good as well. Definitely should've been a hit. I might have to take the plunge and stick that one up on my blog sometime.

Kippers said...

Sorry, that should have read Rocket 2 U. That Prince has got a lot to answer for.